Occasionally called a cap, a dental crown is used to treat a significant area of decay, protect a fragile tooth, restore a cracked tooth, or mask a stained tooth. Designed to be situated over the appropriate tooth and specifically colored to match the surrounding teeth for a desired appearance, a dental crown maintains and enhances functionality to weakened teeth. The dental professionals of Park Lakes Dental Care utilize various techniques for crowns to best care for the concerns of men and women in Humble, TX.
At your initial appointment with a highly trained member of the Park Lakes Dental Care team, we will talk about the various crown material options with you to allow you to select the ideal material that meets your dental concerns, smile objectives, and budget. When you would like to learn more about the numerous kinds of crowns and how they can restore your smile, then continue below for additional detailed information.
THE BEST CANDIDATES FOR A DENTAL CROWN:
A dentist may propose a dental crown as a solution for several reasons, including:
- In order to function as a foundation to aid in keeping dental bridges in place
- As a way to cover a cracked tooth, defending it from revealed nerves, which can cause extreme sensitivity and irritation
- When a cavity is too big tobe fixed with a regular filling
- As a support structure for loose or broken teeth
- Used cosmetically to hide discolored or poorly shaped teeth
- To allow for the preservation of a damaged, decaying tooth as a way to minimize future dental issues
- In order to recover a tooth’s functionality and appearance following a root canal procedure
KINDS OF DENTAL CROWNS
Depending on the patient’s concerns, tooth location, and preferences, crowns are created from various materials. Whereas a number of crowns could last for around 15 years, in some cases, they are merely a temporary solution.
- Temporary: A temporary crown is made from acrylic or stainless steel and is commonly created in the dentist’s office for faster coverage, as opposed to a long-lasting crown that is made in a dental laboratory.
- Porcelain over Metal: A porcelain over metal crown is a choice for protecting front or back teeth and boosts the security of metal to a dental bridge. The porcelain allows the dentist to custom match the existing enamel of neighboring teeth for a natural appearance.
- Metal: This type of crown is commonly made using stainless steel or a number of other metals, which are personalized for the patient's required needs.
- Ceramic or Porcelain: Considered the optimal cosmetic choice, this dental crown has a color-match unsurpassed by any other substance. Ceramic or porcelain crowns are normally used on the front teeth and matched to the shape, color, and size of the individual's current teeth. This substance is also the best for those who havewho suffer from] metal intolerance.
THE WAY IT WORKS
The first action for individuals in Humble, TX to receive a dental crown is to discuss with a dentist from Park Lakes Dental Care during a consultation. At this time, digital or physical impressions of your teeth will be taken, which allows for the custom fit of your crown. As soon as your dental crown is created, the treatment site will be numbed using a local anesthetic before the current tooth may be trimmed to secure the crown’s fit. Secondary impressions are needed to evaluate the ideal fit and bite prior to it being adhered of the crown onto the natural tooth or fixed to a dental implant. The proper configuration of a new crown allows for continuing stability. The overall treatment can take multiple weeks to complete since crowns are sent to a lab for creation. When needed, a temporary crown could be suggested.
As soon as the local anesthesia has worn off, normal daily activities may be continued. The team at Park Lakes Dental Care can give necessary after-care instructions, which are essential to follow for an ideal recovery and restoration. We will discuss with you the best method to care for your crown, including which foods to avoid. For individuals who grind their teeth or tighten their jaws, a night guard may be recommended to preserve your crown. It is essential to attend your yearly dental exams at Park Lakes Dental Care as a way to ensure optimal oral health in the future. Routine daily brushing and flossing may help to keep away decay or gum disease and the need for further crowns later on.
Dedicated to your optimal oral health, Park Lakes Dental Care provides treatments for men and women in Humble, TX using the latest dental procedures, such as dental crowns. Men and women who require a crown can feel comfortable knowing they have options that meet their aesthetic goals and budget. If you are considering a dental crown and would like to learn more regarding this specialized procedure, we invite you to call or arrange an appointment with Park Lakes Dental Care today.